Friday, September 01, 2006

Back to School



Well, it seems like it is back to school time all over the country, and 'round here is no exception.

The older girls started a couple of weeks ago, and Jackson started back to school last week. I continue to be amazed at this little boy. Jackson is the only child with Down syndrome in his school of over 300 families. I will forever be grateful for the school taking the leap of faith with us and letting Jackson attend.

When Jackson was born, I was so consumed with concerns of where he would go to school; and I was so sad because I just loved the school that Addie went to (in fact, I went there a thousand years ago, and my brothers attended as well). So, I was really sad to think that Jackson would miss out on this loving environment. Well, how wrong I was!

The directors of the school were so willing to let us try out the program to see if it was a good fit for us and for them. And we were so blessed to have amazing teachers last year, and great kids in his class. And at the end of the year, we all felt like it was a good match.

My heart soared. And now we begin another year. Another year with great teachers, with great friends, and with great spirit.

As he gets older and my feelings about mainstreaming and inclusion go back and forth (I am all for inclusion if it is the right thing for him), but I am also willing to explore other options if that is what seems best for him. It's funny, but the older he gets, the less I tend to think about the Down syndrome, and just see him for the wonderful, loving, funny and growing Bubba Bear that he is. And just want the best for him, regardless of whether or not that fits into my preconceived ideas.

In the end, I could never have imagined that my son would end up being my best and favorite teacher ever!

Jackson's First Day of School

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

He looks so excited!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home